Fall and winter are good times to finally get around to those long-planned home renovations in North Texas. First of all, it’s the cold season. Secondly, it’s a break from stormy weather and a chance to prepare for the next round of it come spring.
But beyond just the IF and WHEN of home renovation, there’s the HOW. Here are 10 top tips (5 DOs and 5 DONTs) to help you make the right kinds of changes to your home.
The DOs of Home Renovation
- DO upgrade those old, leaky windows to new, energy-efficient replacement windows! Choosing the right replacement windows is crucial. Look for windows that are tough-built, with high energy efficiency ratings, and that you can get in custom shapes, sizes, and colors.
- DO rely on local installation experts with great customer reviews and a solid local reputation. Professional help with your home renovations will ensure quality work that lasts.
- DO consider installing new entry and storm doors this season. Few home components see more use than the front door! And few other parts of the building have such an impact on a home’s curb appeal.
- DO get your gutters ready for the stormy weather ahead. Be sure to clean out your gutters and downspouts to prevent a leak and water damage. If you need a partial or full gutter system replacement, acting fast can help protect your fascia boards, roof eaves, and foundation.
- DO be sure to take advantage of any tax deductions. Not all home repairs and renovations are tax-deductible -but many are! So be sure not to miss out on potential savings.
The DONTs of Home Renovation
Don’t assume you should handle everything on a DIY basis. Saving some money where you can, where you have some skills, is fine. But don’t sacrifice quality or risk wasting materials trying to do something you don’t know how to do.
- Don’t choose low-quality materials for minimal savings. Everyone has their budget to think about, but some materials are so cheaply made that they aren’t worth using.
- Don’t feel you have to get everything done in one week or even in one month. Prioritize the most pressing or most important projects first and be willing to take your time and get it all done right.
- Don’t wait too long to take care of urgent repairs. Roofing, for example, “just can’t wait.” And you definitely want windows, doors, and energy-saving upgrades in before winter or summer – the high-energy-usage seasons, hit.
- Don’t forget to get all permits before starting the next project. (Local contractors will know what you need and can often handle all permit applications for you.)
As you begin to take steps towards beginning your home renovation project, take the time to do it right. Learn all you can from others, and gather all the tips you can.
To learn more or to talk about your plans for new siding, custom windows and doors, or gutters, contact Double J Siding & Windows in Amarillo, Texas, today!